Monday, March 23, 2009

karaoke


The other night I was invited out for karaoke, and I heeded the call to service. Karaoke is a uniquely democratic form of performance, a healthy subversion of performer-audience duality, and all of that sort of thing-- but most importantly, it's just plain more fun than a frog in a glass of milk.

I perpetrated a rendition of Dire Straits' "Walk of Life", signed up for another song and sat down with my crew to wait. A woman wandered over to our table and asked if any of us knew the artist associated with the song Life is a Highway, so she could look it up in the book. My girlfriend and I raced to look up the answer on our tricorders, and she won. The answer: Tom Cochrane! I never had any idea that was the artist, but as I always say, you learn something new every three days.

I did, however, feel sorry for the woman who was going to sing "Life is a Highway". I mean, come on-- what a lame song. Myself, I was slated to regale the crowd with Rick Astley's immortal "Never Gonna Give You Up", and darned if I didn't do just that. I felt I was cultivating a pretty loyal fan base among those assembled.

But nothing could prepare us for the revelry and camaraderie that greeted this woman's performance of "Life is a Highway". The crowd rose as one to howl along with the chorus, isolating me and my pooh-pooing of the song. At least I was able to take solace in the fact that I helped pull it off-- proof that when we all work together, great things can happen.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Well, I would have never pictured you doing Karaoke. I suppose I've always thought it was for people who can't sing well, not those who can. But then my karaoke experience is limited to just one outing.

    ReplyDelete