Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Renovate



A showcase of work by Twin Cities choreographers, curated by Lisa Conlin, who will appear as a dancer/ choreographer as well.

I'm designing the sound for Conlin's piece, which is inspired by her family; different passages of music evoke specific family members.

For the first section she presented me with three pieces of varying styles and asked me to integrate them somewhat sequentially, but overlapping each piece with the one following it as much as possible. It was a challenge because each track was in a different key; some pitch shifting solved the problem between the first two pieces, and I found that if I overlaid the second and third tracks in just the right place and rode the volume just right, the result was consonant even if the music wasn't technically in key with itself.

The second section invloved a percussion piece heavy on the marimba, accompanied in one section by a whispery swishing sound it was my job to create. Conlin wanted many of the passages extended to accommodate movement onstage, so I did a lot of duplication and subtle pitch shifting to make phrases longer. There's often a lot of work involved to make edits of acoustic music sound right-- lots of digital gymnastics to accomplish things that sound like nothing's happening at all. So it goes. That, quite often, is what I do. Fortunately, it's a lot of fun.

I love working on dance pieces because it's all about the symbiosis of the sonic and the visual. Every project is an adventure and a learning experience.

Renovate runs March 13th, 14th, and 15th 2009 at the Ritz Theater in Minneapolis. More info/ tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment