Monday, September 19, 2011

Repurposing

I've been invited to contribute a sound piece to the listening room at a sound art festival. I'm putting together a piece called "Foley in Search of a Film", which assembles Foley cues I've created for film and video pieces as a sound montage. I've had this idea in mind for a while, and it's exciting to finally sit down and work on it.

But the main challenge I'd anticipated has evaporated: I was wondering how I was going to make all these cues gel and go somewhere interesting. Instead, I've found that pretty much every combo of elements is dynamic and powerful. It's like selecting a whole bunch of eloquent people from different fields and inviting them over for a party; yanked from their original context and placed in sudden conversation, they have a lot of compelling things to say to each other.

This experience provides a link I've sought for a while: I've long been interested in the mis-use/ re-purposing of tools and methods, but I've never really known why. Here I'm finding that simply re-contextualizing some element of a process can refresh its mission as it stands in starker contrast. Wondering how to juxtapose elements never meant to be juxtaposed encourages examination of each element's essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment