Monday, July 30, 2012

Andy Sidaris movies


I was blissfully unaware of this, uh, filmmaker until somebody posted the video below on my Facebook wall:

Needless to say, I had to see more.

It turned out that my friend Pat had an entire box set of movies by this guy-- specifically, one Andy Sidaris. Mr. Sidaris evidently came to prominence as a director of broadcast sporting events, most notably "ABC Wide World of Sports", in which he innovated the "honey shot" (cutting to footage of cheerleaders and attractive women in the audience). This approach would serve him well as he moved on to craft a series of feature films in the 80s and 90s, casting Penthouse and Playboy models in many roles as something of a stock company developed. Characters reappear from film to film. But when one character dies, the same actor will often reappear in the next movie playing a completely different character in the same world.

It appears that Mr. Sedaris desperately wanted to make James Bond-style spy movies, but clearly didn't have the budget. So instead we witness clandestine meetings in family restaurants and incoherently edited chase scenes between motorcycles all of whose drivers, chasers and chasees, have clearly rented identical bikes from the same shop.

My favorite action sequence, though, is this little gem from Hard Ticket to Hawaii (same movie as the Frisbee scene above). I can't explain it, but I must share:

Yep-- you just saw that. I dunno. I really don't.

So yeah-- "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" is really great if this sort of thing floats your boat. We watched Picasso Trigger the other night as well, but that one was a little slower. I'm looking forward to learning more about this man's work. I can tell you, though, that his Wikipedia page is certainly worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment