Monday, August 5, 2013

The Films of Neil Breen


A bold new statement in American cinema, Neil Breen's work proceeds unconstrained by the boundaries that shackle most filmmakers of his era. His is a cinema of transgression: pacing, linearity and many other conventions do not hamper these films.

His work trods its own path. "Double Down", for example (available on DVD from Netflix as of this writing), kicks off with a full eighteen minutes of voiceover.

My understanding is that Mr. Breen's earnings as a Las Vegas real estate broker have enabled him to write, direct, and star in his films free of studio interference. Word has it that his more recent work ups the ante of his aesthetic even further. I lament that "Double Down" is Breen's only film I've seen to date-- I've been stymied in my attempts to acquire more. And I'd pay real money for this stuff.

I'm very excited for the opportunity to view "Fateful Findings", for example:

I'm also amped to witness Breen's messianic turn in "I Am Here.... Now" (note: four ellipses, just not three), annotated in this entry if you're interested. Here's the trailer.

Thanks to Melissa Kaercher for turning me on to the work of Neil Breen.

Mike Hallenbeck home page

No comments:

Post a Comment