Thursday, September 24, 2015

Music From Ohio



As an Ohio native, I was tickled by this recent post that asks an important question: WHY HAS THE MUSIC FROM OHIO ALWAYS BEEN SO GOOD?

To be sure, the list is striking: Devo, Pere Ubu, Guided By Voices, The Breeders, and on and on. A lot of the people listed I had no idea had anything to do with the place... Bootsy Collins? David Allan Coe? Screamin' Jay Hawkins? Dean Martin? And Ohio-affiliated artists who (as far as I can tell) go unmentioned in the linked entry include Chrissie Hynde, Joe Walsh, The Cramps, Trent Reznor, fIREHOSE, Tracy Chapman, and Marilyn Manson.

But why, indeed, has the music been so good? It's a question worth asking, given the inordinate number of acts with links to the state. Even more than U.S. Presidents and serial killers, music appears to be a prime Ohio export. Why is this?

After careful consideration, I've arrived at the conclusion that I haven't the faintest idea. What do YOU think?

In any case, I eagerly await the promised "Part 2" of The Rust Belt Hammer's entry, which sadly has yet to materialize.

Mike Hallenbeck home page

No comments:

Post a Comment