Tuesday, October 13, 2015

10/18/15 Soundscape for Live Film Screening: Cellular Cinema VII: Trevor Adams, From Scratch




Every once in a while I get the chance to participate in an event that's utterly unique, that will not be documented or repeated. You want to experience it, you gotta be there.

In this case, I have the opportunity to provide live sonic accompaniment for experimental films by my friend Trevor Adams. Actual film projected from a 16 mm reel, accompanied with as close sync as I can manage, with all the hazard/ risk/ reward of a live presentation.

Adams works in the folk art/ first-person tradition, repurposing found and salvaged footage, which he alters and distresses with chemicals, markers, and pens. His work lives somewhere between live action narrative, documentary, and animation.

Event details:

Sunday, October 18 at 7:00 pm
Bryant-Lake Bowl Theater
Doors open at 6:00 pm
Tickets: $6 - $12 sliding scale
Buy tickets-- make sure to reserve a seat in advance in case the show sells out
Event listing on Bryant-Lake Bowl's web site



When I say that I'll provide a "live soundscape", I want to make clear what'll be going on… It's not like I'll be "performing" per se. The fact is, my role will be (as I generally prefer) mostly that of a mediator/ facilitator. Some films have a completed soundtrack, and my involvement in these pieces will be mere playback. Some have a soundscape that I'll add to by means of subtle or not-so-subtle augmentation/ intervention. For some pieces I'll create an original score. Some passages will intentionally be left silent, as per the filmmaker's wishes. And then there's the chance that I'll screw up entirely, performing sound where it's not wanted or choking and not providing anything at crucial moments...

You won't see me for the duration. I'll be seated behind the audience. My hope is that my involvement will be transparent, and that your experience will be that of simply watching some short films, and enjoying the living hell out of them!



I'm honored to be a part of this project. It's an opportunity to contribute to work that maintains a thread of emotional integrity that makes it easy to connect with. I also want to make sure you know that this is not material that takes itself too seriously. Looking over the footage I'm working with, I have to say I find a lot of it pretty damn hilarious. So if you're looking for experimental film that "takes the piss", look no further!

Hope to see you there. Please share this post to spread the word. Thank you!

More film sound by Mike Hallenbeck

More film music by Mike Hallenbeck

More sound/ music for animation by Mike Hallenbeck

Mike Hallenbeck home page

No comments:

Post a Comment